Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Top 130 of 2008 [114-99]

Yeah I know what you are thinking.. what kind of weirdo counts down
by 16... well I don't do anything normal, and I'm a computer guy so
I think in 16 bits. On with the list

114. Johnny Dowd - Judgement Day - Ft Worth Born country artists who plays what I can only describe as goth country... like it belongs
on True Blood.

113. Jackie Green - I don't live in a dream - A little poppy, a little cheezy, a little Ray Lamontagney... but i still like it.

112. Justin Townes Earle - Lone Pine Hill - Son of Steve, named after Townes Van Sandt.. he's got some pressure... luckily he sounds good in an old timey country kinda way.

111. The Cool Kids - One Two - Hipster rappers from chicago claim to be the black beastie
boys in this song. That is just weird.

110. I'm from Barcelona - Headphones - Happy song from Happy swedes. The swedes have good music I think.

109. Empire of the Sun - We Are the People - I think they are Aussies... but its your standard brit rock.

108. Margot & the Nuclear So and So's - Broadripple is Burning - Indiana folks make Indie folk. I'm a big fan.

107. Mates of State - My Only Offer - Kansas couple offers up indie pop that sounds great, though not as good as their previous offerings.

106. Horrorpops - Disco - Danish band that is on the verge of being punkabilly. Nice fun sound and lyrics.

105. Black Kids - I'm not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with you - Probably the best thing the Black Kids will ever do. they have one hit wonder written all over them.

104. Caesars - Crystal - Forget the fact that Ipod overexposed them on their last album... this is good stuff.

103. The Kooks - Kids (MGMT cover) - Was gonna put "shine on" on the list, but it got overexposed in commercials. so I decided to let them support MGMT.

102. Two Sheds - You - cute song. The lead singer Amber has a nice voice. Can see this in a romantic comedy some day staring Ryan Reynolds.

101. I love Math - Only Clowns are Scary - Dallas based band featuring members of the Old 97s, Deathray Davies, The Paper Chase and Apples in Stereo, yet the music kinda just melds in betweeen everyones style and just sounds like indie pop.

100. The BPA ft David Byrne and Dizzee Rascal - Toe Jam - Happy song. I like Happy songs.

099. Mr Lewis and the Funeral 5 - My Girl,Suicide - Austin band.. Mr Lewis offers up a unique blend of a dark yet happy beat, with a bit of tango and hawaiian music infused... yeah you just have to hear it. It's kinda like the gypsy punk of gogol bordello. Who I love.

No comments: