Monday, January 19, 2009

Top 130 of 2008 [50-35]


yay... we are in the top 50... exciting stuff. not like fishing people out of the hudson excitng, but still exciting. Now today's list has a bit of a country vibe, lots of southern bands and alt-country bands. Wasn't planned... just kinda happened. Don't worry pure indie goodness will be happening the next few days/




050. Eef Barzelay - Numerology - Eef from Jersey used to be in the alt country band Clem snide, which I was a big fan of... The musuc hasn't really changed. THis is nice mellow goodness.

049. The Beaches - WIKI WIKI - japanese indie pop... I don't know anything else about them except this song is super catchy. I like to imagine its a love song to wikipedia. It's jammin.

048. British Sea Power - Waving Flags - Hey remember these guys... this cd came out too early in the year, and it was good, Brit Indie Pop at its best.

047. The Felice Brothers - Frankie's Gun - I consider them an alt country band, even if they are from New York. The original version of this song was recorded in a chicken Coup. has a bit of a dylanesque sound.

046. Beck - Soul of A Man - I love beck. he still puts out great and interesting stuff... from the beginning
baseline it pulls you in.

045. Kings of Leon - Closer - Tennessee represents. The new album isn't as great as the last one but its still pretty good... love this song... has a spooky stalker vibe... I can see it in a movie.

044. The Band of Heathens - Jackson Station - Austin Tx band, has a very cool sound... kind of a blues country vibe.. and ol Ray Wyle Hubbard produced the album.

043. The Submarines - 1940 - I lover her voice... have for a while and I like the loungy sound...

042. The Weepies - Hideaway - indie folk pop... this song gets stuck in my head... it's like it belonged in the
90s. I like it though.

041. Albert Hammond Jr - GFC - The Strokes guitar player goes out on his own and makes a pretty good indie rock record, with a tinge of the blues. I likey.

040. The Roots - Birthday Girl - I'm currently making a "jailbait" playlist that I will share with you later.. This is definitely on it... and I hate to say it, but the hook vocals from Fall out Boy's Partrick Slump pretty much make the song... well that and the subject matter.

039. Drive By Truckers - Self Destructive Zones - Athens GA's second entry of the list. DBT are hit or miss on their songs, but this one is probably the best song off the new album.

038. My Morning Jacket - Touch Me I'm Going to Scream part 2 - Louiville Kentucky's alt-country jam bands new album was good from start to finish... this one stood out.

037. Duffy - Mercy - A departure from the southern sound... I heard this song every night at the bars in Batam indonesia, so it reminds be of partying and good times... plus what's not to love about her voice and the catchy rhythm?

036. Grand Ole Party - Look out Young Son - Reminds me of the gossip... southern california band is one to watch... plus the lead singer is also the drummer, which worked for cowboy mouth and genesis. This is a GREAT song.

035. Old 97's - Dance with me - Dallas Tx - Rhett Miller and the boys are back together, and they sound loads better... I think it did Rhett some good to record a solo album. I like this song... it has that happy tango song that I dig.

To be continued...


Downloads:

No comments: