Thursday, February 12, 2009

Beirut sings about prostitues... and crying ladies. Possibly the same person



Okay, bands like Cat Power and Ladyhawke really confuse me because they are really solo projects (Chan Marshall and Pip Brown respectively). Beirut is like that too. Supposedly it is the solo project of Zack Condon, a New Mexico native. But its kind of not, because he ususally has up to a 10 piece band with him. The newest album, a double EP called March of the Zapotec/Holland goes both ways. the first EP is recorded with a Mexican band. A 19-piece Mexican band!. The second disc is Basically Condon by himself, with heavy synth beats and loops, giving it quite the 80s sound. I'm posting two songs with great song names. "La Llorona" for the Mexican ep because it reminds me of home and it's awesome. and "My Night with the Prostitute from Marselle", because it sounds good, fits in with the 80s theme from yesterday. And its about a hooker.

MP3:
Beirut - La Llorona

Beirut - My Night with a Prostitute From Marselle




BTW, I've decided that I tend to like these things more often than not:
Trumpets
chick Singers
Eastern European/Mexican Influenced music.
Blues Guitars
Cover Songs

I'll try and break the cycle. If you are a band that has all of these above... please send me your stuff and I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl.

No comments: