Tuesday, March 2, 2010

You say Party! We Say Die! ...I say sweet.





I was perusing my local record store the other day when I came across the album XXXX by You Say Party! We say Die! and I thought to myself... with a name that cool the music has to be great. Then I wondered why I hadn't heard of them coming through town at all. Well here's some history on YSP!WSD! (as the cool kids call them)... They are A British Columbian band. Yes another Canadian band. Apparently our neighbors to the North are a constant source for cool new bands, legalized weed, and publicy funded healthcare... Well this canadian band started out as a biker gang, but it got too cold to ride bikes so they just went inside and jammed. Apparently they've been around for a while, but because they had visa issues, they haven't been able to perform in the US, so they were banned in the USA for a while. Scandalous.

Back to the music... Is there really such a genre as dance punk? Because that's what these guys are classified as, and its really tough to argue against... the keyboard riffs are reminiscent of 80s dance, but the all around sound a lot like a lot less frantic and convulsive Yeah Yeah Yeahs, espcially since they went all synth pop.

They finally got their visas taken care of and will be in the ATX for SxSW... well everybody but the bassist... he's still banned from the US till 2011.


Listen: You Say Party! We Say Die!, "Laura Palmer's Prom"



You Say Party! We Say Die!- Laura Palmer's Prom


Listen: You Say Party! We Say Die!, "There is XXXX (within my heart)"



You Say Party! We Say Die!- There is XXXX (within my heart)

No comments: