Friday, March 20, 2009

Cover Friday - ...was a Rolling Stone edition



So there is a panel going on today at SxSW right about now called "Slaughtering Sacred Cows"... basically saying that people suck up so much these days that proper critisism is lost and bands get completely Over-rated. Some bands deserve to get knocked off their pedestal... Ahem.. Animal Collective is one of them these days. Sonic Youth is anther one... Juno said it best... They have a few good songs, but the rest is just noise. Rush, U2, ACDC ZZTop are on the list.



The Rolling Stones aren't. Yeah I don't really know why today is the Stones day, but it has to be done... Not only are they rock icons, but they made their start singing covers... Starting With Chuck Berry's "Come On" and Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" and went on to influence bands for 5 decades.


On with the covers...



No, not that kind of cover of the rolling stone.... ahem

I'm starting off with
Rage's version of "Street Fighting Man". It's kick ass, and I just realized after listening to it again that the first few bars are actually the intro music to The Opie and Anthony Show.

Mp3:

Rage Against the machine - Street Fighting Man

Moving on to a little
Social D, and "Under My Thumb"

Social Distortion - Under My Thumb

From Punk to Cowpunk...
Nine Pound Hammer is a side project of Nashville Pussy and here they are doing a version of "Dead Flowers"

Nine Pound Hammer - Dead Flowers

Buckwheat Zydeco sounds exactly like the name implies. Here they are with "Beast of Burden" ...the original is a favorite of my gf... or as she likes to put it "This is my jam"

Buckwheat Zydeco - Beast of Burden

Indie poppers
Over the Rhine did a good version of "Ruby Tuesday" a few years back

Over the Rhine - Ruby Tuesday

Listen to the Voice on this one... Its Victoria Bergsman... before she sang on
PB&J's "Young folks", she was in a band called The Concretes and she did a cover of "Miss You"

The Concretes - Miss You


I don't know why but I feel that the definitive
"Paint it Black" cover is Gob. Maybe because on the Stir of Echoes soundtrack and all I remember from that movie is this song.

Gob - Paint It Black

"Honky Tonk Woman" really sounds like it should have been a Waylon Jennings song to begin with so this cover is fitting.

Waylon Jennings - Honky Tonk Woman

I always wonder what a bollywood version of
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" would sound like

Ananda Shankar - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Patti Smith is the definitive cover of "Gimmie Shelter"

Patti Smith - Gimmie Shelter

Now we are to
"Sympathy for the Devil"... I had a tough time deciding on this. I decided to go with Jane's Addiction... just cause its Perry Ferrell

Jane's Addiction - Sympathy For the Devil

I had to give
"Satisfaction" to Cat Power. because her voice is so awesome. she could sing "Mary had a little Lamb" and I'd still get all tingly.

Cat Power - Satisfaction

The Sundays are the definitive cover of "Wild Horses" but I'm saving them for a later post that Boon and I are collaborating on, so I decided to go with the Iron & Wine/Calexico live Version.


Iron&Wine/Calexico - Wild Horses








No comments: