Friday, March 6, 2009

Covers Friday - Lets do it for the Kids edition

Yeah, I didn't really have a theme for this week, but then I heard the over the rainbow song for the 4th time in two weeks, and I figured it wanted to be posted. That together with the fact that I recently had an hour long discussion about Saved by the Bell and took about a billion Saturday morning cartoon quizes on Facebook... yes I am a child of the 80s... I started to feel a bit nostalgic. So I put together a little homage to what could be construed as children's covers... its bob tested, and probably not mother approved though.




We'll start off with the song that started it all... a 300+ lb Hawaiian singing pretty songs...

Mp3:

Iseael Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow, What a Wonderful World

Then we got
The Corn Sisters, who are Neko Case and Carolyn Mark, reminding me of Black Snake Moan and Christina Ricci for some reason.

Mp3:

The Corn Sisters - This Little Light of Mine

Before
Pebbles and Bam Bam started their singing group as teenagers on their own show, they had their first concert together on an episode of the Flinstones.. this is the song they did, sung by Frente!

Mp3:

Frente! - Open up Your Heart and Let the Sun Shine In

Reel Big fish have a new cover album out.. with mostly hair band covers, but there was this gem of a cover of Toots and the Maytals' "Monkey Man" that totally sounds like a kid song.

Mp3:

Reel Big Fish - Monkey Man

Speaking of Monkeys, this could not be complete without a
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Cover of "I wanna be like you" from the Jungle Book... originally sung by a monkey. BTW, this is actually a slightly different version from the one on the Swingers Soundtrack.

Mp3:

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - I Wanna Be like You

Then there is the
Hank Williams classic "Kaw Liga", a song about a Wooden Indian that I know I heard a lot as a kid... sung by Big Sandy

Mp3:

Big Sandy & his Fly Rite Boys - Kaw Liga

Tom Waits covers the seven dwarfs as only he can do...

Mp3:

Tom Waits - Heigh Ho

and finally, because Schoolhouse Rocks! rocks... we got a lil
Blind Melon talking about the virtues of threesomes...

Mp3:

Blind Melon - 3 is the Magic Number



That's all folks. I have the strangest urge to watch Robot Chicken after all this pop culture.

No comments: