Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Ramblings: a cover and Local Natives and the Pretty Reckless



So first off, let me say that I could have SWORN I posted Local Natives before... I loved "Sun Hands" and I know I thought about posting it whenever I finally got Gorilla Manor. However I didn't apparently because I can find no evidence of the song anywhere on my site. Huge oversight on my part. I will correct this mistake. The LA band played the Sons of Herman Hall last night, and it was a killer show. The guys sounded great. And I love that the guitar player has the whole John Oates look going. Nice Stache sir. And the lead singer kinda looks like Charlie from Always Sunny. But that's neither here or there... they rocked the sold out show and I was shocked by the cult following they have. I'm calling it now. they will play ACL. They will play the Heineken stage. Bob Has spoken.

Ok so from Gorilla Manor you get this:

Listen:Local Natives "Sun hands"




Local Natives - Sun Hands


But it's friday right? so I should post a cover... specifically a killer talking heads cover.

Listen:Local Natives "Warning Sign"




Local Natives - Warning Sign




And just for good measure another cover by the Mates of State. Apparently they are gonna have a new mixtape out this summer called Crushes and its all covers. This one in particular is "Laura", originally by Girls.

Listen:Mates of State "Laura (Girls Cover)"




Mates of States - Laura (Girls Cover)





Speaking of Crushes and Girls... what about Gossip Girls? So 16 yr old Taylor Momsen has a band called The Pretty Reckless. Scary huh? Scarier is thatt it actually does not completely suck. Her voice has a bit of a growl to it, and the vibe has got the classic angry young woman influences... Joan Jett, Hole with a little bit of The Donnas and Brody Dalle (Spinnerettes) and a tad bit of Poe thrown in. Hey but what do you expect when the 90s Grunge scene was basically classic rock for this girl. The debut album drops in September, however there is a song on the Kick Ass soundtrack... although based on the lyrics to "Make Me Wanna Die" it sounds like it was probably written for The Twilight series... very vampire-esque. Personally I like "Blender" better. I'm officially intrigued.

Listen:Pretty Reckless "Blender"




Pretty Reckless - Blender


Listen:Pretty Reckless "Make Me Wanna Die"




Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die

And speaking of movies... did you hear that they are making a sequel to Avatar? Apparently the sequel will take place in the Oceans of Pandora. Really James Cameron? First you borrow Dances with Wolves and now you are gonna dabble in Waterworld? Leave poor Kevin Costner alone.

No comments: